AVID: What's new in Media Composer 5 - MacVideo Expo 2010
Presentation by Deepraj Sandhar. Using the Number 1 hit music video "Riverside" by Sidney Samson, edited on Media Composer, this demonstration shows the editing and effects work done for the music video. Also to be discussed is the new File Based workflows in Media Composer 5 using native RED, Canon 5D and Pro Res. Working on FCP? Bring your FCP project and Pro Res media in to Media Composer 5. An overview of workflow and features provided by Avid Media Composer 5.
AVID set the standard for non-linear editing when it exploded onto the editing world in 1989. Since then post-production has been defined by this system- and while there are competing systems today, Media Composer remains the system most used for high-end television and features film production. Media Composer 5 represents a major upgrade and offers serious competition for the rest of the market.
New features include:
• Directly access and edit RED files through AMA, without transcoding (images are scaled to HD frame size)
• Work natively with QuickTime video formats, including Apple ProRes and H.264
• Edit video and audio by dragging and dropping elements in the timeline
• Keep high-end finishing projects in-house and gain great color precision with HD-RGB support (including dual-link I/O support with Nitris DX systems)
• Monitor video externally with support for the Matrox MXO2 Mini
• Mix and match frame sizes and aspect ratios — in addition to formats, frame rates, and resolutions — in the same timeline
• Take a break during long renders and have your system email you when the job’s done
• Import AVCHD files directly from cameras and other devices
• Capture to and edit XDCAM HD and DVC PRO HD formats from baseband without additional hardware
• Access low-res XDCAM proxies for offline work, with full-quality audio
• Import text-based ancillary data and embed it in the video signal with the new “Data Track” and SMPTE 436M support using Nitris DX- and Mojo DX-based systems
• View stereo audio tracks as single channels in the timeline for easier handling
• Create high-quality sounds and mixes with support for RTAS audio processing plug-ins
• Natively access and edit 4:2:2 MPEG-2 media from the new Canon cameras using AMA
Work Directly with RED Using the Newly Improved AMA
With Media Composer 5, AMA (Avid Media Access) has been completely reengineered, so you can work natively with more file-based media formats now and in the future. With the new and improved AMA, you can speed up RED workflows by directly accessing RED files (.R3D) in Media Composer without having to prepare them through MetaFuze (all footage is scaled to HD frame size). Plus, you have access to its full metadata and color management data too.
Edit QuickTime Formats Natively
Get native access to all popular QuickTime formats, with full access to clip metadata. Thanks to AMA, you can natively access and edit any movie that can be played in Apple’s QuickTime Player (including Apple ProRes and .mov files captured by Canon 5D and 7D cameras) right in Media Composer — no transcoding, rewrapping, or logging and transferring required.