We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: blue ray burner
allegrovideo

Posted: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 02:48AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I have FCP on a Macbook Pro. I am editing with P2 High Definition. What do I need to make blue ray dvds.

Author: Topic: Re: blue ray burner
jimi5150

Posted: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 05:46PM

allegrovideo, You'll need a few things. One, a BluRay burner. LG makes one that will work on a Mac. You'll also need an enclosure. You can look around, just make sure it's an enclosure for an optical drive with SATA connections. Third, you'll need Toast . . . and the BluRay plugin. It's sold separately. In case you're wondering . . . no, you can't burn a BluRay disk right from DVD Studio Pro. You have to do it in Toast. Barring any update from Apple by the time you read this. Anyway, once your movie is ready you can bring it into Toast and have it do all the encoding for you. It can be an auto-play, or a menu start, though their menus suck. But, that's all we have right now. This is what I use and while it's extremely limiting, it does work. Good luck!

Arnoldrob
Arnoldrob

Posted: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 03:45PM

jimi5150,
I am thinking of doing the same, which is why I chose to get a 15 inch Mac Book Pro made just before the latest model which still had the Express 34 card slot which can take a sata adapter. While looking around for a suitable Blu-Ray burner I saw some info on trouble with compatibility with EX 34 cards and MBPs. Has anybody had any experience with these cards.

adobe geek

Posted: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 03:24PM

Hey Chaps

I'm Al, the video person from Adobe in the UK.

I just wanted to point out that we have a cool piece of software called Encore which runs on Mac (and Windows) and allows full professional Blu-Ray disc mastering. If you're editing on Final Cut, you can export an XML, bring it into Premiere Pro, then send that out to Encore to start working on your disc. Alternatively you could use Compressor to make your final H264 and go straight to Encore.

It comes in the Premiere Pro box, and with the Production Premium and Master Collection suites.

Of course I appreciate that this doesn't really help with the question about the right burner, but thought it was worth mentioning anyway

cheers,
al.

Mark Kenny

Posted: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:37PM

LaCie FireWire BlueRay Burner? Toast 10? Or is that not full on professional quality?