We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Capturing Video on New iMac with only 1 FireWire Port
subob1979
subob1979

Posted: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:32PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Using one of the new Apple iMacs, what is the best way to capture digital video footage (Mini DV) into Final Cut using an external drive as your scratch disk? The iMac offers only one FireWire 800 port. Is it advisable to connect the camcorder to the FireWire port and use a USB 2.0 to connect the external drive? Or can you connect the drive via FireWire 800 and connect the output of the camcorder to one of the other Fireiwre ports on the drive? In this instance I am using a Lacie Rugged Hard Disk that has one FireWire 800, one FireWire 400, and one USB 2.0 port.

Posts: 1 | Location: Non UK | Registered: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 | IP: Logged
Author: Topic: Re: Capturing Video on New iMac with only 1 FireWire Port
RickYoung
Global Moderator
RickYoung

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:00AM

subob1979,

USB drives work fine for DV, HDV, XDCAM EX. I've used USB drives with DVCPro HD footage with mixed results.

The major drawback to USB is they are slow - therefore if you transfer larges chunks of data it will take a while.

FireWire should work fine with drives daisy chained together. Do as you wrote: plug the drive for the media into the FireWire port on the iMac - and then camera into the back of the this.

Have no fear,

Rick

Author: Topic: Re: Capturing Video on New iMac with only 1 FireWire Port
Mark Kenny

Posted: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:39PM

I plug a GTECH FW800 in to iMac and use a FW800 to FW400 cable with a old white 6pin-4pin adapter on that. I keep it FW800 as much as I can.

Had no probs capturing and editing HDV on my iMac.