We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Topic Icon new jvc workflow into fcp 6 - HELP!!!!
ianrobins

Posted: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:05PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Hi

Can anyone shine some light on why I can't open the .mov files created by my JVC HM100 in FCP6 or Quicktime player?

I have recorded at factory defaults 1920/50i and 1080-50/25. FCP doesn't have a default pixel ratio that large? I am totally lost on what settings are required. the manuals and help lines talk endlessly of 1920 ratios but no sign in FCP settings!?!

I have latest version of quicktime. I am using latest studio 2 FCP6. I am running tiger not leopard in my G5 tho?

I've been using FCP happily for 7 years but am stumped and JVC and CVP (retailers) don't know reason either.

Author: Topic: Re: new jvc workflow into fcp 6 - HELP!!!!
RickYoung
Global Moderator
RickYoung

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:48PM

ianrobins,

What a hassle you are having - I have had nothing but success using the JVC gear.

I see you wrote you are running Tiger and not Leopard - I think there-in lies your problem.

XDCAM EX support was not brought into FCP until I think 6.02. Even if you are up-to-date with FCP something in Tiger may be causing you the hassle.

All I can say is before you spend more time searching too hard check you are up to date with FCP 6 and also get up to date to Leopard. Who knows what goes on under the hood.

If that is too scary to update your entire system then buy an external drive and install Leopard, load up FCP 6, update Leopard, QuickTime and FCP 6 to the latest versions and then you will know if this solves the problem.

One more point - the HM100 will record in .mov or mp4 - you wrote you have .mov files so I assume you have this set correctly. If you are recording MP4 these need to converted to .mov to work.

Let us all know how you get on - I've had 2 x HM100s and 700 all working great.

Catch you,

Rick

Author: Topic: Re: new jvc workflow into fcp 6 - HELP!!!!
ianrobins

Posted: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:36PM

RickYoung,

Hi Rick

Thanks for response - much calmer now, I just needed to do software update on my FCP 6 update. All good, tho I have noticed that in sequence settings 1440x1080 still only option whereas with video settings Apple Pro Res 1920x1080 exists. Is Sequence downsizing?