We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: HDV for broadcast
walney_hobbit
walney_hobbit

Posted: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:51AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I've been asked to help out doing a documentary which the creators are hoping to sell onto the networks.

I have a HDV canon camera (XH1A) but I'm unsure if converted over to another format would be good enough or accepted for anything other than DVD or web streaming. Does anyone have a veiw on whether I can convert the HDV to Pro Res or downscale to SD video

Author: Topic: Re: HDV for broadcast
Mark Kenny

Posted: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:36PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

walney_hobbit,

Finishing a 55minute doc' on Rwanda hospitals shot on a couple of Sony HC1s. We shot HDV over our EX1 cos it's a lot of cards to carry, and there's a lot of stability/safety in tapes.

We learnt a few tricks;

Picture quality amazing outdoor. Indoor the noise creeps in quickly. Bring extra lights for indoor. Even if you're just bouncing a torch off a ceiling, any extra light is better than nothing.

Stabilise your shot; HDV is sensitive. Tripod as much as possible. Don't go handheld unless you really have to. We mounted the camera on a tripod and stuck two legs into the belt loops, but there are other solutions out there.

We captured HDV. I wish we captured AIC or ProRes. HDV with effects is buggy and slow. AIC/ProRes will take more disk space but be easier on the processor and easier to colour correct in FCP.

Finishing, we exported to HDV Quicktime and into 10bit SD timeline and dumped to a hired digibeta for finishing. It would have been nice to keep it HD, but it's a charity project and we got some cheap time at the post house.

Of course full 4K RED is great if you have time and budget, but a well shot HDV is still worth watching. As Reuters said (and this is a few years ago before even 1MP phone cameras) "If you got a picture of Elvis shot on a mobile phone, we'll publish it".