We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Virgin Media Backup and Storage Uninstall issues
auldain

Posted: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:25AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I want to uninstall Backup and Storage on my Apple Mac, and have followed the Virgin guide. However, I dont see the screens on the Virgin guide when I click on Applications. What I see is the Backup and Storage icon and also the Uninstall icon. When I click the Uninstall icon it brings up this window headed

Terminal -login- 80 x 24

There is nothing in the box below, just a solid cursor. No matter what I try to type in nothing appaears in the box.

Can any one help me rid myself of this application?

Author: Topic: Re: Virgin Media Backup and Storage Uninstall issues
lukemb64
lukemb64

Posted: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:56AM

auldain,
Hi, did you ever get this resolved. I am having the same problem uninstalling V B&S on a mac. Thanks,
Luke

auldain

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:17AM

lukemb64,
No I haven't. Your's is the only response I have received to my query. Not a very good forum! Any ideas what we do now to solve this issue?

Jaded

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:54PM

auldain,

This is a Mac forum. Have you tried Virgin forums?

Uninstalling Backup and Storage is not something normal for a Mac.

lukemb64
lukemb64

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 04:40PM

auldain,I think the problem is that the uninstall file is a .exe file which is for windows computers and so doesn't work on macs. So you can't use it to uninstall. It's amazing virgin did not give us a mac-usable uninstall file. You can drag B&S to the trash but it does not delete various systems/library files from your computer like the configuration files.
I have just switched to dropbox.
To Jaded I think a mac forum is relevant because this is a specific mac issue.

Jaded

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:18PM

lukemb64,

"Not a very good forum!" is what her said, which is hardly likely to get people responding.

lukemb64
lukemb64

Posted: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:04PM

Jaded, he/she said this 6 weeks after receiving no reply.

Jaded

Posted: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:21PM

lukemb64,

So? Why should getting no reply after 6 weeks mean it is a bad forum? There is a lot of help given out on here, mostly by a small group of members. Often people give help and the OPs don't even bother to say thank you.

There isn't a need for someone who asks an esoteric question to take their frustration out on the forum if it is not answered.

lukemb64
lukemb64

Posted: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:38PM

Jaded, OK, I didn't say it's a bad forum. cheers.

auldain

Posted: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 10:23PM

Jaded,
Putting aside the semantics, regarding my suggestion to lukemb64, about the worth of the Mac forum relating to a lack of any response to a real, not an esoteric query, might I suggest it would have been more helpful to myself and lukemb64 to have provided a possible answer or encourage other Mac forum members to help us, rather than merely direct us to another (Virgin) forum. This must surely be a problem more than 2 Mac owning, Virgin users have experienced. Just to set the matter straight I did trey the Virgin forum before I placed the thread on the Mac forum. Needless to say as in many other matters Virgin even in its forum guise is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!

AlanAudio
Global Moderator
AlanAudio

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:25AM

auldain,

perhaps if you had asked on this forum before installing it, you could have been told that Mac users prefer to put their trust in other forms of backup.

I have written on this forum many times that Virgin ( and before them NTL ) are totally useless when it comes to Macs and that Virgin's Mac advice is frequently inappropriate.

Most of us on this forum would not use Virgin backup. It's hardly surprising that none of us have any experience of resolving problems resulting from it.

auldain

Posted: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 03:16PM

AlanAudio,
Yes I wish I had done as you suggest. But I didn't (out of ignorance) and it is now water under the bridge. So is the bottom line that despite the obvious problems with Virgin and Mac users, there is no help available from anyone on this forum as to how resolve this issue?

lukemb64
lukemb64

Posted: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 03:49PM

AlanAudio,give auldain a break. he just asked for help and complained he couldn't get any. Not a big deal.

auldain

Posted: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:26PM

lukemb64,
Thanks for the support. Much appreciated. Why is it these forums invariably end up as aggro fests when members take things out of context? Anyway any ideas where we go now on our quest to rid ourselves of the accursed Virgin software?

lukemb64
lukemb64

Posted: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:54PM

auldain,
all I can suggest is what I said above which is drag it all to the trash, which is what I have done. It means there are still some systems files somewhere but non-one here or at Virgin can/will tell us where they are so we'll have to live with that. I am using dropbox instead which seems to work very well and if you cancel your Virgin sub then it will still be there.
It is amazing how online people get out of proportion, like people in cars do.
L

AlanAudio
Global Moderator
AlanAudio

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 07:34AM

lukemb64,

I don't think it's agro to point out that Virgin are useless. They can't even provide me with a reliable cable internet service ( six major outages in 18 months, the most recent 24 hour outage finished yesterday afternoon ). They are famously inept at anything to do with Macs and that attitude can be traced back more than fifteen years from the companies that merged to form Virgin as we now know them.

Personally I prefer to confine suggestions to topics that I have experience of and I know that many others share the same approach. It would appear that hardly anybody here has any experience of that Virgin back-up problem, maybe because we wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - even though it's offered to us for free. If you then feel that the resulting silence makes this a bad forum, then so be it, but I'd rather have a forum where the advice that is given is reliable, than one where unknown people simply make random guesses.

1 2 Last 8 Messages