We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Apple warning re Panther & FW drives
Phil A
Phil A

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:10AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

hi folks

a warning to any really early adopters out there. Apple has just put out a big warning of incompatibility between Panter (OS 10.3 just out) and some Firewire 800 disks. All disc data can be lost.

I've just checked on the lacie site, and FW 400 disks are not affected.

Phil

Author: Topic: Re: Apple warning re Panther & FW drives
a.middleton
a.middleton

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:10PM

Actually I think they are, or at least some FW400 drives are becouse the LaCie FW drive I use at work starting losing data, even after using the updates from the LaCie site. I've backed everything up and don't use the drive now, its quite old in computer years, and as I am getting a nice G5 kit (see 'building acollege FCP suite' on the forum) I wont be using the FW drive anymore

I've just checked on the lacie site, and FW 400 disks are not affected.

Phil

Author: Topic: Re: Apple warning re Panther & FW drives
MattDavis
MattDavis

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 04:17PM

We ran into issues and data loss when upgrading from 10.2.8 to 10.3.0, and had to do a very nasty horrible downgrade which cost us lots of time, effort and money. My 17"Ti was fine, but our Silver Bullet was NOT.

However, time is a great healer, and I recently completed a full upgrade to FCP4HD and 10.3.3 on the Silver Bullet. All rules still applied until I hit 10.3.3: all FW drives updated to latest versions BEFORE upgrade started, no FW devices attached during installation and upgrade. Still, when power-cycled Silver Bullet 10.3.3 with FW drive attached, aforementioned drive was fully backed up!

No problems since, and now fully enjoying benefits of 10.3 and FW800.