We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Topic Icon FCE1.01: no sound after startup with DV cam
cailin_coilleach
cailin_coilleach

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:13AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Hiyas,

I've just run into one of the strangest problems I've encountered with FCE 1.01 yet. Mind you, I haven't been using FCE for too long, so this might be a little glitch to some of you

Anywho: if I startup FCE when there's already a FW DV device hooked up to my system, FCE simply refuses to output audio to my speakers. Exiting FCE, then disconnecting the FW DV device and restarting FCE returns my audio. Afterwards, if I reconnect the DV device the audio stays. As far as I know this problem exists with both my DV cam and my AD-DA convertor.

Is this some kind of feature that can be turned off, or is there something else going on?

Cheers!

Thomas
the Netherlands

SETUP:
==========
Powermac G5 1.6 GHZ
Mac OS X 10.3.3
Final Cut Express 1.01 (no patches applied)
JVC SVHS deck, connected to Datavideo DAC-100, connected to FW800
Panasonic NV-DS60 DV cam, connected to FW800

Author: Topic: Re: FCE1.01: no sound after startup with DV cam
chris.roberts
chris.roberts

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 10:18AM

cailin_coilleach,
Hi
The problem, undoubtedly, is with your Audio Video Preferences setup. when you say "output audio to my speakers", I take it you mean the computer speakers???
Now, bear in mind I haven't actually used FCE, so here's the FCP solution... Your preferences are set to output to Firewire device. This means that when FCE detects your DVCAM deck it automatically assumes that your want to output EVERYTHING to your deck - video and audio. In FCP you can select different outputs - for example, send video to your deck so you can loop through to a PAL monitor and send audio direct to your computer speakers (be sure to select different outpouts for edit to tape/print to video!!!) There might be a slight sync issue with monitoring the media from two different output sources however. Otherwise, get a set of powered Speakers and connect them to the Audio outputs of your deck. You will now be able to monitor your TL audio independently from your system audio.
Hope this helps
Chris

Posts: | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | IP: Logged
Author: Topic: Re: FCE1.01: no sound after startup with DV cam
cailin_coilleach
cailin_coilleach

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:29PM

It seems the guys over on the Apple discussion board have it right: [url=http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?13@78.o5vuaIZfqMp.1500@.6894153e/4]over here[/url].

Haven't checked it yet (I'm in the office now), but it seems to have worked for others as well.

But I will try your suggestion as well Chris. Maybe that'll turn up something as well