We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: good idea if it works....
KennyBoy1

Posted: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 04:47PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Me again folks (Kenny)
Did anyone see the FCUG letter about the guy who transfered video footage direct to a consumer DVD recorder? Some of them have an I-link firewire IN/OUT for recording to dvd disc straight from a miniDV camera.

They presumably auto encode MPEG2 when you record to disc, but does anyone know if you can export an edited FCP project via firewire from a MAC into a DVD Recorder. Has anyone tried it please reply if anyone knows if it can be done.Thanks Kenny

Author: Topic: Re: good idea if it works....
RickYoung
Global Moderator
RickYoung

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 07:28PM

KennyBoy1,

It was me who wrote the newsletter about dubbing to a DVD recorder.

You can play direct off the FCP Timeline into the DVD recorder without problems.

What you can't do it export data though Firewire and burn a file as you would in Toast, for example.

The DVD recorder simply records Mpg 2 as video onto DVD.

Rick

chris.roberts
chris.roberts

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:46AM

Hi Kenny,
Yeah, tranfsering to a DVD-recordable unit such as Rick has done is an excellent way of quickly getting material from many sources direct to DVD.
However, what I would say is that it doesn't "encode to MPEG2" as it were. It does create a DVD video disc, but does not create an MPEG2 file that you could use in DVD authoring, such as would be output from Compressor. In other words, you CANNOT use the media transfered to the disc from the disc unless you ripped the material from the Video_TS folder, and then you might as well just transfered to DV anyway.
Also, from what I know, it creates a very basic menu interface to "navigate" through the disc - so you can create different "tracks" and jump to different programmes on the disc.
These are great machines for doing DVD "dubs" or recording off-air material (have used them myself on occasion) but they are no subsitute for an "authored" disc.
Best
Chris

Posts: | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | IP: Logged
KennyBoy1

Posted: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:23PM

chris.roberts,
Hi Chris many thanks for your reply too. I'm pondering whether I should invest in the recorder that chris used but don't want to waste money if it will not allow me to record some projects onto a dvd disc that will be playable. Please read my reply to Chris as this is what I would like the DVD recorder to allow me to do. I thought it might be a good solution to doing quick project DVD's that I can show my projects on a disc that would be good quality and playable on dvd players. I was looking for an easy solution!

Thanks Kenny

Author: Topic: Re: Just my 2p's worth
Phil A
Phil A

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:43PM

Hi KennyBoy1,

The other point to bear in mind with all 'live' mpeg encoders is that, by definition, they are one-pass. They give good domestic quality results but it's not going to be as high quality (for a given bit rate) as a two-pass Variable Bit Rate (VBR) encode done with, say, Compressor. Or the same quality will be less efficiently coded. For many users and a lot of material, that's fine (if it's an 8mm film full of scratches etc) but it's not going to give Warner Bros much of a run for their money.

you still (mostly) get what you pay for.

Phil Ashby

Author: Topic: Re: Just my 2p's worth
JakeRussell
JakeRussell

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:02PM

A few points.

"you CANNOT use the media transfered to the disc from the disc unless you ripped the material from the Video_TS folder,..."

Not totally true. If you have higher-end authoring apps you can import VTS and VOB. Also for some the amount of time you save using the hardware encoder means it's really no problem spending a few mins demuxing the files! which you can bring into dvdsp etc with no problem.

"....and then you might as well just transfered to DV anyway."

Why? No quality loss so....?

".....but they are no subsitute for an "authored" disc."

This is true but with apps like tfdvdedit and others you can have your hardware encoder do the mpeg-2 work and use dvdsp to build the menus then just combine the projects. Keep all the authoring power(or gain more if you use Edit) and still encode in real-time.

"they are one-pass. They give good domestic quality results but it's not going to be as high quality (for a given bit rate) as a two-pass Variable Bit Rate (VBR) encode done with, say, Compressor."

Many many dvd houses use 1 pass most of the time cause it's real-time. 1 pass on a SD-2000, MPX3000 etc is normally good enough for corporate work. The hardware encoders in many dvd recorders(2hrs or less) are far better than Compressor IMHO but then again I prefer other software encoders over Compressor also.

A dvd recorder isn't a bad option even if you use it just for the encoding then demux and use in dvdsp. Depends on lots of things as always but it's a good option non the less IMHO. That said a water cooled G5 is a good option too

Jake

--
Lost between Layer0 & Layer1