We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Topic Icon Centred titles in LiveType
Stephen Coltrane
Stephen Coltrane

Posted: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:31PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I'm trying to produce scrolling credits in LiveType which are centre justified.

When I say 'centre justified', I mean two columns of text. The left hand column would be justified on the right-hand margin, and the right-hand column would be justified on the left-hand margin. This gives the impression that the two sides are 'mirroring' each other.

However, if I use the centre-justify button in LiveType, it will centre each line according to its overall length. So, a credit with a very long name in it will have a central gap in a different place from a credit with a very short name in it.

(Hope this explanation makes sense.)

This layout appears to be standard for end credits in Hollywood productions, but I can't seem to replicate it in LT. I can't believe it's not possible.

(1GHz G4 PowerBook with 512MB RAM, running FCP4.0.2 and LiveType1.0.1, if that makes any difference)

Please let me know if the above sounds like complete bow locks, or whether it actually makes sense.

Author: Topic: Re: Centred titles in LiveType
Hotwells
Hotwells

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:00PM

Stephen,

Create one of your columns and position it accordingly. Then create an effect that makes it scroll up the screen however you like. Select the track in the timeline and duplicate it (Command D). Move that text to its new position changing the justification to the opposit of the previous. Then change the text to read as you want. The effect will also have been duplicated so that when the sequence plays the two columns rise up together Hollywood style (as you say!) Get adventurous with the movement - its what Livetype does best!

I managed to go through 4 different exercises on Livetype with my students today, the last day of a FCP200 course. (VisionTraining.tv) We even had time for me to run through a bit of what Motion can do. Wow! its great!

Stephen Coltrane
Stephen Coltrane

Posted: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:36PM

Hotwells,

Brilliant! And so obvious when you explain it!

Thank you.

Stephen

Hotwells
Hotwells

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:40PM

Stephen,

are you aware that the basic title tool in FCP can do this automatically? eMail [email protected] if you want to know how.

Richard

PS glad to be of service!

MattDavis
MattDavis

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 01:09PM

FWIW, there's a cute app that's more suited to iMovie, but may have its uses to some:

http://www.rqs.ca/RollingCredits/index.php

It works with Rich Text Format files (so can do decimal tabs et al).

Though at $9.95 it costs rather more than LiveType, but a lot less than AfterEffects.