We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Drop Frames
beasley

Posted: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:44AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I wonder if anyone would be able to assist me with a diagnosis for a persistent problem I have with my FCP4 system.

I have FCP 4.1.1 running on a 1Ghz G4 with 1.25 GB Ram with 0SX 10.2.8. I have an IDE 40 Gig system drive, an IDE 60 gig render drive, an IDE 120 gig video drive and an external firewire 180 gig drive.

I occasionally get dropped or skipped frames during play back of rushes in the viewer window and also from sequences on the timeline. I now make sure that I export to quick time movie to make a single file before any play out to tape of finished edits. I have also found that there is a tendency for the machine to skip frames when playing this quick time exported file in the viewer window, but not so much in the canvas window or timeline.

However these skipped frames are an inconsistent problem. Sometimes it will play a 90 minute sequence (QT export re-imported to timeline!), and not give any drop frames at all. Other times I can get 2 or 3 drop frames in a 10 minute sequence.

I have found that if I do a 'dress rehearsal' play out before I finally start the tape rolling, things seem to play a lot smoother.

However, my background is broadcast and corporate, facility house and production company editing on tape and then Avid media composer over the last 14 or so years, and although I hate the Avid company with a passion....their products work and work well! So I am used to kit working when you need it to and am getting a bit frustrated with my FCP system!

My questions to you are:

Am I expecting too much from the firewire system and should I convert over to a SCSI drive system? (My local mac centre has suggested this but although they are always helpful I do feel they are trying to sell me something all the time!...including a new G5!)

Or do I purchase a Sony dvcam deck i.e. dsr25 and edit out the drop frames when they occur on playback to tape? (I currently use a Panasonic camcorder as a deck and firewire to analogue video conversion device which works very well but will not do frame accurate editing). Incidentally, I'm not 100% sure that a Firewire FCP4 system will edit frame accurately to a dsr25. There is a delay in the firewire system which I have got used to but is definitely not there on (Avid) SCSI systems because of the drive speed. This is frustrating but I have learned to live with it because it's my machine!

Or do I do as my local mac centre has also suggested and install 2 x 120 gig IDE drives for my video, scrap my 40 gig system drive which is currently 75% full and replace it with my current render drive (60 gigs). They also say that a near to full system drive can be a cause of drop frames...?

Sorry to send you such a large e-mail. I got your address from the UKFCUG web site and thought as an expert you might be able to give me some unbiased advice and not try to sell me a new G5!!

Now having used FCP for a year or so I am very reluctant to go back to Avid as I actually like the FCP interface and compositing powers more than Avid's. I just need to have a reliable machine.

Any thoughts anyone?!

Author: Topic: Re: Drop Frames
pashdej@ozemail.
pashdej@ozemail.

Posted: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 04:33PM

beasley, if it is happening during playback it can be as silly as overlapping windows but it is usually a blend of incompatible Render options and so many audio tracks that you have exceeded your Preference setting for this - number of real time audio tracks. Also if it is happening during capture it can be good old Norton AV interfereing with Import by FW, checking what is coming in and tripping FCP up. Sometimes it is the age and condition of FW cables. Really thedre are many things to check, we expect so much from our computers. more than a Professional installation would ever allow.
We have software utilities "looking after" things for us and that means interference with FCP, like my example of Norton.
I have historically always used high-speed SCSI RAID arrays but recently moved to just FW - I have had a trouble free ride since, SO don't think that FW is not fast enough for DV and even Uncompressed!
Take a look at Ken Stones site or his postings at LAFCPUG, there you will find some articles about this very issue, they include ALL possible ingredients for your experience, you will find a solution.
I am flat chat finishing a project just now, hence the brevity, but do let me know how you go.

Author: Topic: Re: Drop Frames
pashdej@ozemail.
pashdej@ozemail.

Posted: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:15PM

pashdej@ozemail.,It's me myself again!
Further - the thing I didn't mention is that when I went to FW drives I also went to a G5 DP 2ghz with 2.5gogs of RAM! This really IS the solution I'm afraid. If you want the benefits of FCP-HD RT playback and everything that goes with it, you have to go this far!
I had a G4 DP 500 and it really wasn't coping with things too well.