We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: External drive/backup problem
poddipeas

Posted: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 04:12PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I purchased a LaCie Fire Wire external hard drive today, specifically for the purpose of backing up my FC Exp.2 video work.

However, I have tried to copy the scratch disc file over but I get the following message...

'The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'Video title' could not be read or written, error code -36'.

I am very new to all of this. Please can anyone offer me advice?

Author: Topic: Re: External drive/backup problem
simonholden

Posted: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:16PM

poddipeas,

Just thinking out loud. Error -36 is a general Input/Output error and seems common between OS X 10.3 and Windows servers. My only question with this in mind is how is the LaCie disk formatted? Make sure it is Mac HFS+ formatted if you only intend to use it with a Mac.

Hope you sort this annoying problem out.

Simon

Author: Topic: Re: External drive/backup problem
poddipeas

Posted: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 07:14PM

simonholden,

Thank you for this. Problem resolved.