We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Loss of data from ext HD and Mac
mrhare

Posted: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:11AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I had to transfer some aiff sound files from my G4 powerbook running OS10 to an older Mac laptop (not sure of model) running 9.

I firewire connected my pb to a crossfire external harddrive that was also connected to the other Mac.

I transferred the sound files and ejected and disconnected my pb from the ext hd. The other mac had trouble finding the files on the ext harddrive. We then transferred them direct to the other mac by slaving my pb.

No apparent problem except for the first transfrred sound files that would appear in the window of the ext hd then disappear.

We then started work on laying the sound files down in FCP 1 on the other Mac.

Everything seemed OK so I left the editor to it.

A while later she rang to say everything had disappeared off the external hard drive (inc her FCP media files) except for the transfrrd sound files!!

A while again later she rang to say her whole FCP list had disappeared while she was working on it.

In her own words:
there is now nothing left on the external hard drive except the sound files we copied across when you were here. It's a horrid feeling to lose work like that. I thought it was ok and still had the FCP edit list for a while but then that disappeared too, before my eyes, as i was working on it! At that point I thought it best to stop before anything else went AWOL

Any suggestions on what went wrong would be much appreciated in case there is something here everyone should know about.

Is it something to do with OS10 and 9?

Thanks

Author: Topic: Re: Loss of data from ext HD and Mac
Mac Wizard
Mac Wizard

Posted: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 01:06PM

mrhare,

How can you connect your Mac to the crossfire hard disk while it's already connected to someone else's computer? Unless you're running some serious SAN software, only one person can use a hard disk at any one time. That could be the cause.

Only other cuase would be the hard disk or the laptops themselves are corrupt. How often do you defrag or use Drive X or similar software?

"The FCP list dissapeared while she was working on it" Now I wouldn't be so bold as to say this is an Error 17 or PEBCAK, but files don't generally just dissapear, they tend to be pushed

Check the ALL the drives properly and copy it all back again cleanly.

Peace

Mac Wizard

mrhare

Posted: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:12PM

Mac Wizard,
Yes I see. Doh. It was the two firewire inputs on the back of the crosswire and a long day.
Thanks.
Mr H

mrhare

Posted: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 08:17PM

Mac Wizard,
By the way what is an Error 17 or PEBCAK. As you probably gather I'm new to Macs!!
Regards
Mr H

J.P.
J.P.

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:38PM

mrhare,

Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

Error 18 - Problem exists roughly 18" from display.

JP.

Apple Certified System Administrator

The Mac Place - Macintosh Support, Consultancy, & pithy Mac blog
Mac Wizard
Mac Wizard

Posted: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 06:12PM

J.P.,

Depends how close the screen is I s'pose

Peace

Mac Wizard