We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Field dominance change between FCP and LiveType
MattDavis
MattDavis

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 06:58PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Hung my head in shame the other day - did an edit without ref to PAL monitor, rendered a quick animated caption in LiveType, slapped it on, upped it to the PD150, had it layed off onto Beta, and lo: the staccato thwack of wrong field order. D'oh!

But is it not drummed into us that DV is Lower (Even)? Didn't I check that?

I checked my LiveType settings - yes, that too is set to Lower (Even).

So, back home, I rendered an Upper (Odd), and 'wouldn't you know it...' that looks great on the PAL monitor - no field judders, smooth as .

What gives, here? Am I going nuts?

It was bad enough coaxing LiveType to do 16:9, but to be completely opposite to its sibling app in something so important as field dominance, surely this is my mistake or oversight!

PAL Output via AJA IO.

Any illumination? (pouring stiff drink)

Author: Topic: Re: Field dominance change between FCP and LiveType
nevo

Posted: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:04PM

hey matt

you might as well make it a double - this is a known issue since FCP 4.0 there are no fixes other than to remember to switch the field dominance everytime and just hope that apple get round to fixing this annoying bug in FCP 5....coming to an apple store near you soon.

Phil A
Phil A

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 05:24PM

Hi Matt, nevo

you sure this is a Livetype issue, not an AJA IO? I had to fight my own battles on a project just gone, I thought it was due to using the 'Moving Picture' plugin. Are you saying that Livetype lies when it says it's lower? Are we talking SD or DV ?

Don't you just love 'standards'

- Matt are you really in a place called Cippenham , or is it Chippenham - in which case see you at the Bristol wefcpug meeting tomorrow

Phil Ashby
Bright Filament productions, Bath UK
duncancraig
duncancraig

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:49PM

Phil A,

So what are you using for widescreen in Livetype.

Personally I am using a 1024x576 setting with the preset SD PAL pixel ratio (1.04 IIRC). Still not perfect though.

Using 720x576 and tweaking the pixel ratio (to 1.42 again IIRC) is lousy for me.

As regards field dominance, is a pain in the arse. We should need to worry about field order. (Dominance is another pain though). I can't make a DVD from my Uncompressed timeline as the field order is wrong the last time I tried it. Luckily most of the commercials I make are film-moded so it doesn't really matter too much.

But, having come from chucking TGA sequences and quicktimes between AVIDS After Effects and Editbox for years I never had these problems.

When I got the IO I was so confused at first. After all I can drop DV into an uncompressed timeline and once rendered it will play OK, so why is field order an issue? Why the hell are they different?

i was never taught that at college (Ravensbourne)

I'll have to play some more with the field setting in Compressor to see if I can fix it, only I'll have to burn DVD's to test it.....

Duncan.

Phil A
Phil A

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:27AM

duncancraig,

"So what are you using for widescreen in Livetype."

I just went with the belated Apple recommended:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93302

my rationale being it was a 720x576 anamorphic sequence anyway.
I think you're spot on, it's field order not dominance. I vaguely remember there's a filter somewhere out there (might be Klaus' Eiperle's site) that will reorder, or I once read a horrible workround that involved shifting a pixel upwards to recombine fields.

back to the text books

Phil Ashby
Bright Filament productions, Bath UK