We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Best external FW800 HDD or RAID HDD??? Advice please...
petey

Posted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:32AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Hi there,

I've been using my G4 PB based system for a while to produce general business promo and event promo DVDs and web features, and I'm now looking at upgrading things like software and some hardware. I currently use a Lacie P2 250GB FW 400 HDD, but am increasingly aware that keeping the thing spinning for hours on end will probably cause to go bang at some point in the not too distant future. Also, it's horribly bloody slow!

So, in my search for a replacement I've had various units recommended to me and would love any feedback from existing users of any suitable devices. So far my list consists of:

- EZ Quest 'Cobra+' FW 800 (250GB)
- PikaOne 'FlyCase' FW 800 (400GB) - this is promoted as a RAID array, so I'm guessing it equates to 200GB of usable storage?
- Medea 'G-Raid' FW 800 (320GB)

Prices seem to vary by quite a bit for drives that appear to offer simillar capacities and performances. Any advice, experiences or additional suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks... Pete.

Author: Topic: Re: Best external FW800 HDD or RAID HDD??? Advice please...
chris.roberts
chris.roberts

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:40AM

petey,
the hardware you're looking at really does depend on what you want to do with it. Me? I generally edit DV or DVCAM material on my iMac G5. For storage I've got a LaCie D2 250GB Firewire 800/400 HDD. But as the iMac doesn't have a FW800 port, I use it as a 400 drive.

I have no problems.

I've even edited 8bit uncompressed material on one of these drives with no issues either.

I know Rick Young has also used FW 800 drives to edit fully uncompressed 10 bit video with no problem either.

The cost of my FW800 drive? £160 all in.

Compare that to the RAID arrays you'll be quoted for.

HTH

chris

Posts: | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | IP: Logged
petey

Posted: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:01PM

Chris,

Thanks for the feedback. I was initially looking at the Lacie 'Big Disk Extremes' but was advised that customer support from Lacie can be an issue. They seem to offer great value, and I guess if they're reliable then support isn't so much of a problem. I'll have to have a closer look at them.

Thanks... Pete.

Clive W
Clive W

Posted: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:51AM

petey,

I can only add that we have also used Lacie 250 and 500GB drives (with both 400 and 800 connections) for the last year or so without any problems.

Clive

MattDavis
MattDavis

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 05:37PM

250 gb lacie seems to be golden mean. I have two Bigger Disks and the 1TB version. Extreme?

Bigger Disks are unreliable - one of mine is toast, the other fractious. I never want to see one again.

The Terabyte is reliable so far, but too noisy. I believe it is actually a hair-drier with a firewire port and not a hard disk after all. It is also very portly - I don't want to move it as a block and tackle doesn't fit the boot of my car.

With a dozen LaCie 250 disks so far, I'd take a 250 anywhere - in fact, I frequently do. My main one has been to Cannes, Cancun, Florida and Stuttgart this year (wrapped in a fleece and packed in a wheelie bag as check-in), and when not glonbe trotting, it goes up and down the M4 every day.

I am about to junk all but the 250s (to our Graphics department... sorry - no Ebay) and instead spend £600 on a SATA enclosure. I will retain the 250s for travel.

FWIW, I have given up on the concept of 'Customer Support' unless I have paid for it on a separate bill. A dodgy drive shows up in 3 months, so a new drive is apprenticed to backup duties. Shucks, £128 for a 250 Gb drive - that's 4 hours of level 3 support, or 1/4 the cost of an emergency disk retrieval.

By the way, I once invested a large sum in a Glyph drive (for an Avid Express Pro suite with Mojo - and no, the drive with its expensive striping software never worked for Avid Express Pro - though with OS-X striping, it's done great things in FCP). The Glyph drive has been VERY problematical with a couple of Mac setups. I'd say that price is not a guarantee of quality.

Jaded

Posted: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:03AM

petey,

"Thanks for the feedback. I was initially looking at the Lacie 'Big Disk Extremes' but was advised that customer support from Lacie can be an issue. They seem to offer great value, and I guess if they're reliable then support isn't so much of a problem. I'll have to have a closer look at them."

Customer support would be nice.

I emailed them (fax being the only other method of contact available) 10 days ago about a failed 250GB Triple interface disk. No reply yet.

I bought it from Apple Store Regent Street - they passed up on their retailer responsibility by fobbing me off with LaCie.

It's back to Apple Store - I know my rights!