We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: iMovie problem
alex1a
alex1a

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:09PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Hope this is the correct forum
I’m putting some converted cine film (About 6 hrs worth) onto DVD using iMovie and iDVD.
The footage is currently spread over Mini DV tapes.

Each of these has been imported into it’s own iMovie project, however, I want to do a bit of moving about of footage, i.w bring in footage from one movie into another.
Each time I add the clip I want, the whole huge file is duplicated.

Am I missing something, or is iMovie unable just to make a refernce to the clip in the other film?
Can Final Cut HD bring in additional footage to a film without duplicating the film?

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks

Author: Topic: Re: iMovie problem
allatsea
allatsea

Posted: Wed, 18 May 2005 02:33PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

alex1a,

You have it right, iMovie saves all of the footage (clips etc) within its project file, so duplicates anything you copy in from another project.

FCP simply references the original file, so you only have the one copy of the footage.

I've been doing something similar with footage from VHS, transferring it on to DVD. I'd use FCP, but my wife has been doing some editing, having attended an Apple session on using iLife, so it needed to be as basic as possible. She has produced (with minimal help) two edited DVDs. The end result is very good, 'only' the kids growing up, but at least now when the tape finally breaks we won't have lost it all.

Cheers ... Antony