We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Topic Icon Is the new iMac a viable alternative to Mac Pro?
Hefferlump

Posted: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:35AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I am looking to purchase a Mac and want to learn how to use Final Cut Studio. I seem to get the impression that the Mac Pro is the only route? This however is a bit out of my league financially. Would the new 24inch iMac be able to cope with FCP? Any help/recommendations on this topic would be much appreciated. Thanks

Author: Topic: Re: Is the new iMac a viable alternative to Mac Pro?
lynndaley
lynndaley

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:28PM

Hefferlump,
We've got a 24 in iMac on order for exactly that. We currently use a 1.25Gig G4 with Final Cut Studio, so anything will be faster than that. It runs okay on the MacBook too, but the screen is a bit small!
We have ordered the iMac with 2Gb of Ram and the better video card in order to run motion and for the day when we upgrade to an HD camcorder. The only reason we were considering a G5/MacPro was for the added screen size but the 24in iMac looks perfect.

Posts: | Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom | IP: Logged
Author: Topic: Re: Is the new iMac a viable alternative to Mac Pro?
MattDavis
MattDavis

Visit My Homepage
Posted: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 05:47PM

FCP will run fine - in fact, if you were a legacy FCP editor, you'd be delighted at the extra speed.

You're getting the big model with the FW800? Good.

The only thing that could possibly equate to a bluebottle in the ointment would be Motion - the iMacs may have lesser video cards in them that don't quite do Motion justice. I use a PowerBook 1.33 GHz G4, and Motion is usable but unappealing. Your milage will no doubt vary towards the "Wow!" end.

The 24" will sit between the MacBook and the desktop Pro range, so if you need to be itinerant, aren't so worried about real-time chromakey et al due to graphics cards, will purchase a PeliCase or something and are happy with that, then the big iMac iMac will perform better than the MacBook Pro.