We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: Best quality in iDVD - how?
raywatts
raywatts

Posted: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 01:19AM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

I have a two hour project in FCP and wish to export it to get the best quality DVD possible. From short trials I get the best results when exporting from FCP using Quicktime conversion with no compression. Problem there is it will generate a file of 235Gb. Next best option seems to me mpg4 with deinterlace turned on. This generates 30Gb file which is very managable but there is a loss of quality. I have tried H264 but with my G5 iMac it would take days to encode.

If someone could tell me the best way to achieve max quality with a reasonable file size I would very much apreciate it.

Many thanks

Ray

Author: Topic: Re: Best quality in iDVD - how?
mad dog
mad dog

Posted: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:51PM

DVDs are mpg2 - you should export using compressor or the mpg2 codec in QuickTime (if you have it) - or import a DVPAL QuickTime file into DVDStudio Pro (or iDVD).

Author: Topic: Re: Best quality in iDVD - how?
denislyons

Posted: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:34PM

raywatts,

I have had the best results with exporting as a quicktime movie and unchecking the 'make movie self-contained' box. This utilizes the magic of the quicktime reference concept and produces great results in iDVD with little time lost! You can also add chapter markers on your timeline in FCP that iDVD will automatically recognize

Good Luck,

Denis