We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

MacVideo Forums

You need to be logged in to be able to post and reply to messages

A place to talk about Final Cut Pro and Express, have your questions answered, share tips, discuss industry trends, and video technology.

Also, we have a list of Frequently Asked Questions, which may be the fastest route to solving your problem.

Macworld Forum tips - Please read! Please also remember that when you register with the Macworld Web site in order to post on our Forums you have agreed to our Terms & Conditions and Forum Rules.

Forum Home   Search 
MacVideo Discussion Forum
Author: Topic: advice for FCP & G5 please
tomdeane

Posted: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 04:38PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

Hi there,

I am new to macs and HDV too. i am use to editing dv footage in adobe premiere pro2, but with the purchase of a sony Z1 i want to take full advantage of the HDV aspect of it, so im migrating to macs!!!

I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on a few things:

Im looking at getting a second hand G5 powermac from ebay (UK) but im not too sure whats specs to get, but i dont want to spend a fortune, hence why im going second hand, so bare that in mind:-

1.what processor should i be looking at? i have been looking at around 2.5GHZ, but is this necessary, or will 2GHZ be just as good - performance wise editing HDV footage! and whats the difference between dual core and quad?

2. i was thinking of about 4gb ram, is this necessary?

3. i wanted two hard-drives, obviously, but what sizes do u reccomend for both?

4. on the software side of things... if i buy final cut studio, do i need anything else to put the hdv footage onto a dvd?

5. i hear that u can get around 20mins of hdv footage onto a dvd, but how does this work and does it play on a normal dvd player?

thanks for your advice,

tom

Author: Topic: Re: advice for FCP & G5 please
leeMcGowan

Posted: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 11:02PM
Email  Print  Text-only  View thread

tomdeane,
Get fastest g5 u can afford, quad if poss
The more ram the better
The largest drives u can afford
60 mins HD on a DVD but will only play on mac with latest system software. No chance on a DVD player, no news yet if playable on new HVDVD players.
You will need dvd studio pro to author hddvd in any event